Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Discernment

Last night at Theology Pub with Miss Spiro, the subject of discernment and my gut feelings and first impressions of people came up. I find they are often uncannily accurate and yet I ignore them to my own detriment, something I'm working on. I spoke of how they can range from "Danger! Run!" feelings to something very different and I brought up my fiancé...

After meeting him on Facebook and bantering a bit on discussion boards there, he struck up an instant message conversation. I remember having a panicked debate with myself in my head before I gave him a single reply in that more private setting. My thoughts were literally "Do I have the energy for this? He is going to make me seriously attached to him...can I stand to fall in love with him and have my life turned upside down?" I was in a relationship at the time. He lived in another state. He was a couple years younger. He was making noises about enlisting. I could already tell he was on his way to getting under my skin. This could blow up in my face in a spectacular fashion.

I replied.

The rest is...well you know the cliché.

No comments: