Saturday, April 23, 2011

Heroes

I was thinking the other night about the quote that's something along the lines of "Everyone is the hero of their own story." I'm not sure who it originated with, and a quick Google search just has t-shirts and other people's musings and I'm too lazy to search further, so there ya go. :-P I was thinking about the way most of us would likely approach our memoirs...we'd justify things, portray our life as a grand adventure and/or romance, it would all become a little fictionalized. I know I've edited parts of my story into downright lies, even in my little girl diaries! Sometimes I think even our own private memories are pretty fictionalized after we've spent enough time justifying. It just seems such an impossible endeavor at times, letting someone else into our heads, explaining how we think and feel and what motivates us to act as we do. It can't be done completely, not really.

But then I think back to that quote about being the hero...so here I am, the heroine of my little life, finding it so hard to really be known...and then romance and adventure ensues and I get married. Now I start thinking about different quotes, about two becoming one, and something has changed where I'm not just the heroine of my own little story, I'm a heroine with a hero and it's OUR story now and we're a partnership that can be taken as a single character at times. Now someone is in my life and head in a way unlike anyone else...See, even now I'm having trouble expressing this idea bopping around in my brain, but you know what? I think my hero would get what I mean. :)

No comments: